Thursday, January 9, 2014

Smeared and Smudged Member Blog Hop!

Poe's Requilary
(click on image for a larger view)

Poe's Requilary is a piece for The Smeared and Smudged Forum's January Member Blog Hop. Even though I had a limited amount of time to work on it I had lots of fun with putting it together. I started with a cheap Italian triptych. It was nearly the same as this one someone is trying to sell for $145! OK, the hot glue gun design and the Madonna With Child picture was different but they are really similar. Did I ruin a $145 antique triptych?! I didn't Google one till AFTER I had altered it. Oh well. First I painted the triptych silver. I left a bead of gold around the inside of the frame. I glued in an image of Poe from a Free Vintage Printable - Edgar Allen Poe Collage available at Free Vintage Digital Stamps. I painted black around and into the image. I highlighted Poe's face with a bit of white on the forehead, nose and chin. I doubt that you can really see it in the picture I took, but it enhances the pop-out effect from the background and makes Poe look more ghostly. I gave the frame a weak wash of black and used a baby wipe to take some of the paint off the raised design. I rummaged in my stash and found a scarlet ribbon rose along with some thin black ribbon. A sliver of one of Poe's finger bones was a sacrifice by a Halloween necklace. I had just as much fun with setting the stage for the picture I took. The raven and the skull snowglobe were from this past Halloween's merchandise at Walgreens, of all places.

Poe's Requilary
(click on image for a larger view)


The Smeared and Smudged Member Blog Hop:
  Tori
Laura
Sue The Nanny
Kapree
Shoni
Fiona
Shell (you came from here)
Molly The Fishmonger (you are HERE)
Lisa (you're going here ;-))
Alison
Kristy
Monique

15 comments:

  1. I love this, such a beautiful thing to have to display :) you know you could enter this in our anything Poe's challenge over at quoth the raven xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to check out the closing date for submissions. There's actually a bit more I would like to do to it but ran out of time. I wanted to get it posted for the blog hop!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is so effective...the Poe image is timeless and I love how you have changed the triptych.
    Sue (The Nanny)
    RSD EDT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultra cool - I LUV anything POE :-) I hope you are going to enter him over at QUOTH THE RAVEN Challenge #28 :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xx

    My Challenge Blog: http://ikesworldchallengeblog.blogspot.com
    My Shop: www.ikesart.com
    My Blog: http://suzy-ikesworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is this!!!! I love it and would have to say you made the triptych SO MUCH BETTER! I can't wait to see what else you do to it, because I'm loving every bit so far! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome! Love the set up in your first photo.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing altered piece. Wonderful offering to the king himself. Your work and time is well appreciated and just love looking at this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some Poe and that triptych is just awesome. Great job xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly, this is amazing. You did a fantastic job on this triptych. I really hope this wasn't one of those antique ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing! Fab triptych for sure! Even if it is antique, value added if you ask me. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic piece of altered art. I love how you transformed the frame and your altered Poe is wonderful. Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much cooler than madonna! clean and simple and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much better than the Madonna with child, if anything you have increased it's value.......FAB Triptych :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your hands on still life artwork and photography beautiful job.
    Your frozen collage is gorgeous but it makes me shiver she's going to freeze to death with her boobs popping out like that. Brrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thanks Deann for taking a look at my other posts and for following my blog!

      Delete